There’s good news and bad news for users of the Otter.ai transcription service. The excellent news is that Otter Assistant — a bot that can be configured to record meetings automatically — will now be accessible to everybody, no matter whether or not they’re a free or paid consumer.
The dangerous information, nevertheless, is that Otter.ai is scaling again on some options, just like the variety of month-to-month transcription minutes accessible for primary and professional accounts.
Otter.ai first launched its bot to robotically report Zoom conferences final Might, although it later added assist for Google Meet, Microsoft Teams and Cisco Webex. The assistant integrates with the consumer’s calendar, and robotically joins any scheduled assembly, information it and shares the transcription with everybody within the assembly. So even when somebody can’t attend a gathering, they will at the least pay attention again to it and peruse the notes later.
The characteristic was initially solely accessible to subscribers on the marketing strategy, however beginning September 27 it is going to be accessible to Free and Professional accounts too. Nonetheless, those that pay for a Professional account will be capable to ask the Otter Assistant to hitch two concurrent conferences.
What’s extra, the corporate’s AI-generated meeting summary feature — which was launched in March — can be accessible to each Fundamental and Professional account customers too.
Whereas customers are gaining these options, the corporate is limiting issues like transcription minutes per-month for each Fundamental and Professional accounts. Right here’s a rundown of what’s altering:
Otter Fundamental (free tier)
- Customers will get 300 transcription minutes per 30 days as an alternative of 600.
- They are going to be capable to entry the final 25 recordings, with older ones archived.
- At present, customers can play recordings at 0.5x, 1x and 2x playback pace. However with the brand new plan, they’ll be capable to play clips at solely 1x pace.
- Customers will get 1,200 transcription minutes per 30 days as an alternative of 6,000 — that’s one-fifth of what they’re getting with the present providing.
- As a substitute of 4 hours, transcribed minutes-per-meeting can be decreased to only 90 minutes.
- Otter beforehand allowed limitless uploads of recordings for transcription with its paid service. Now, it’s limiting issues to 10 uploads per 30 days.
- The agency can also be transferring the power to sync recordings to Dropbox to the Enterprise tier.
However that’s not all. Otter Professional’s month-to-month subscribers should pay $16.99 per 30 days as an alternative of $12.99 beginning September 27, although they may get to make use of their accounts with the present limits till November 30. The annual plan will nonetheless value $99.99 ($8.33 per 30 days), so if customers subscribe to that plan earlier than September 27, present characteristic limits will apply till subsequent yr.
Clearly, the corporate, which raised $50 million in a Series B round last year, is coercing customers to decide to the yearly plan.
Whereas extra business-centric options comparable to Dialpad have enjoyed massive success, with this newest transfer, evidently Otter.ai is making an attempt to appease the extra informal consumer whereas additionally making an attempt to spice up its revenues by encouraging customers to improve their plans to get the identical options that they’re accustomed to.
Different options comparable to TLDV, in the meantime, offer unlimited recording and transcription without cost customers, a truth that would assist lure present Otter.ai stalwarts over to its platform.