Good day and welcome again to Equity, a podcast concerning the enterprise of startups, the place we unpack the numbers and nuance behind the headlines. Earlier than we get into this week’s present notes, some programming notes:
- First up, use code “EQUITY” for a particular listener low cost for Disrupt tickets. We’re mere weeks away, and you need to come hang around with us after we file on opening day!
- We additionally have a special for those impacted by layoffs. Should you have been laid off, go right here to get a free ticket to TechCrunch Disrupt’s Expo!
Alright, throat clearing apart, right here’s what we received into this week:
- $700 million water? Yeah, the Liquid Demise spherical was an enormous deal within the information this week as a result of everybody had an opinion on the matter. Us included. Whereas there’s good motive to doubt the DTC mannequin right now — cough, cough, public markets — Alex was readily available to face up for the, er, close to unicorn.
- How much should you pay your staff? From there it was time to speak about honest compensation, and the way a startup known as Complete desires to take a crack on the query. It simply raised $6 million.
- Duolingo goes shopping! Sure, we’ve coated this firm earlier than. And, sure, it’s now public. However Duolingo snapping up one other firm gave us the prospect to yammer a bit about edtech more generally, and we’re at all times going to take that probability.
- Naver, Poshmark and Depop: Naver’s transfer to swoop up Poshmark is the story of two main corporations discovering union. However for the reason that Poshmark deal was just like the 2021-era Depop deal, it match into our remit. In spite of everything, Poshmark and Depop have been each enterprise darlings as soon as upon a time.
- Twitter-Elon, round 472: Since we recorded this podcast, there’s been much more Elon-Twitter information. God we’re uninterested in it.
- Kim Kardashian’s crypto issue: Far be it from us to offer recommendation, but when you’ll take $250,000 to shill a shitcoin, do disclose the payment!
And that’s our present. We’re on a daily schedule subsequent week, after which dwell the week after!
Fairness drops each Monday at 7 a.m. PT and Wednesday and Friday at 6 a.m. PT, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all of the casts. TechCrunch additionally has a great show on crypto, a show that interviews founders, a show that details how our stories come together and extra!
Leave a Reply