Final week, Twitter updated its developer terms to successfully ban any different Twitter shopper utility. The corporate’s change got here after many well-liked apps — together with Twitterrific, Tweetbot, Echofone and Fenix — had been suspended by the corporate’s developer platform staff with none discover or clarification.
The social media firm hadn’t been clear about its selections to shun third-party shoppers, solely saying it was enforcing “long-standing” rules (which it then needed to rush to document), making builders mistrust the platform much more. Whereas Twitter has had a rocky relationship with app builders for years, third-party shoppers have contributed to many essential options which can be core to Twitter’s expertise right now.
Under, we’ve rounded up some examples of how the work carried out by third-party apps grew to become an integral a part of the social community:
- The chicken emblem: Twitterrific, one of many earliest Twitter shoppers, began utilizing a chicken emblem when it began and different shoppers additionally adopted, based on a blog by one of the app’s co-creators Ged Maheux. The chicken grew to become a part of Twitter’s official logo only in 2010.
- The phrase “Tweet”: That’s proper. The phrase tweet wasn’t actually part of the corporate’s vocabulary early on. One other weblog put up by Maheux quotes one in all Twitter founder Biz Stone’s emails to customers that use phrases like “Twitter-ers” and “Twittering.” Early in January 2007, Twitterrific began utilizing the time period “Twit.” The put up notes that one of many engineers who labored at Twitter urged the identify change from “Twit” to “Tweet.”
- Pull to refresh: As we speak, it’s laborious to think about Twitter with out the pull-to-refresh button. Nonetheless, Twitter didn’t have an app again then. This characteristic was as a substitute pioneered by an app known as Tweetie made by developer Loren Brichter.
- iPhone app: By the way, Twitter acquired Tweetie in 2010 after which launched it as a local official shopper. Twitterrific was the primary firm to launch a native Twitter app on each iPhone and Mac.
- Swipe to motion: This was additionally a Tweetie signature characteristic that was discontinued when Twitter acquired the corporate. When customers swiped on a tweet it revealed actions like reply, retweet, favourite and share. The characteristic made it back to the official Twitter app in 2012.
- Inline pictures and movies: Within the early days of Twitter, the social community permits customers to tweet hyperlinks to pictures and movies as a substitute of displaying them instantly on the timeline. Brizzly was one of many earliest Twitter shoppers that supported in-line picture and video previews.
- Picture internet hosting: Initially, Twitter didn’t have any picture internet hosting answer. In 2011, the company partnered with Photobucket to enable users to upload photos. In the meantime, different providers like Twitpic and Yfrog filled in that gap for Twitter. In 2015, Twitter finally purchased Twitpic hours before the photo-sharing service’s shutdown.
- Edit Tweet: Whereas Twitter first launched the edit tweet feature to Twitter Blue subscribers final yr, third-party shoppers have tried various things to supply this characteristic. Twitterrific introduced an edit tweet feature in 2014 by deleting and reposting the tweet on the again finish. In 2020, Brizzly launched an edit tweet feature by creating and storing a tweet regionally for a specified time earlier than posting it.
- Thread studying: Twitter threads have develop into a well-liked device for sharing tales lately. Nevertheless it has been a ache studying threads on the native app. To resolve this downside, the corporate acquired Threader and made it part of the Twitter Blue subscription.
- Curation: In Twitter’s layoffs final yr, the corporate axed its curation staff. Third-party apps can fill in that hole if Twitter’s API permits that. Again within the day, Favster offered top tweet tracking and Listorious curated intriguing lists to follow.
Because the period of third-party apps involves an finish, with some firms publishing angry blogs or different eulogies, Twitter proprietor Elon Musk claims he now desires to make Twitter an “everything app” (aka a “tremendous app.”) However given Musk’s therapy of the developer neighborhood, the chance to supply future concepts from the Twitter app ecosystem is now misplaced to the corporate, which may hinder future developments.