To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most vital tales delivered to your inbox each day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
Hi there! You’ve bought yet one more day of simply me earlier than I take a well-deserved Friday off and Kyle fills in, so I’ve determined to make an extra-large model of Each day Crunch. We hope lots of you might be hanging out with the cryptocurrency gang down in Miami for TC Sessions: Crypto. As you may see, a couple of tales have come out of it already and I’m certain there’s extra to come back.
Oh, and in case you have half-hour of downtime, I feel you’ll get pleasure from Alex’s interview with some corporate comms experts on the ins and outs of working with startups and public corporations. Additionally, try Haje’s Pitch Deck Teardown of Sateliot, which has loads going for it, however wants final names for its crew members.
Let’s dig into immediately’s information! — Christine
The TechCrunch High 3
- Feature dump: For these of you who love to make use of Google Maps, Google Search and Google Procuring, boy, does the corporate have some new options for you. Aisha breaks them down.
- Putting money where your mouth is: Index Ventures is betting that the financial downturn will encourage the creation of extra startups and is placing $300 million on that horse to win, Mike writes.
- “A goal without a plan is just a wish”: Mozilla launched its “State of Mozilla” report immediately, and Frederic has a take a look at how the Firefox maker sees its subsequent chapter.
Startups and VC
Extra cybersecurity M&A occurring right here as Ingrid studies that Palo Alto Networks is buying Cider Security in a deal mentioned to be valued at as much as $300 million. It is a transfer that she writes has been rumored for a bit, however now some items have fallen into place, together with telling traders, that make it extra apt to be occurring.
Mary Ann spoke with some crypto-focused enterprise capitalists who instructed her that they had been already continuing with warning when it got here to deploying their funds into cryptocurrency however at the moment are frightened that fallout from FTX’s collapse might make it harder to get limited partners on board for future funds.
And we now have six extra for you:
SaaS startups that ignored VC recommendation to chop gross sales and advertising had been higher off this 12 months
Many VCs suggested founders to dial again their gross sales and advertising outlays to protect runway this 12 months. And, because it seems, many VCs have been giving the improper recommendation.
In accordance with knowledge from Capchase, a fintech that provides startups nondilutive capital, “corporations that didn’t minimize spending on gross sales and advertising had been in a greater monetary and progress place now than those who did when the market began to dip in 2022,” studies Rebecca Szkutak.
Of the five hundred corporations surveyed, bootstrapped corporations confirmed the strongest progress, mentioned Miguel Fernandez, Capchase’s co-founder and CEO:
“What we now have seen on this case, and what’s most fascinating, is the most effective corporations have really minimize each different price besides gross sales and advertising.”
Three extra from the TC+ crew:
Huge Tech Inc.
Please get pleasure from Brian’s extra-large Actuator newsletter immediately, the place he breaks down Boston’s tech scene, going everywhere in the metropolis, speaking to Tye Brady, getting in some work with robotics, and taking “a subject journey to a few of Boston’s greatest startups.”
For these of you who prefer to tweet in threads, Twitter is engaged on a characteristic for you that may divide long text into a thread automatically, Ivan studies. This transfer will cut back the necessity to break up your entire rigorously curated phrase vomit into 280-character segments.
In the meantime, over in Binance land, co-founder and CEO Changpeng Zhao, also called CZ, spoke with Anita this morning at TC Sessions: Crypto, and Romain grabbed a few of the highlights, together with CZ’s ideas on FTX: “We were the last straw that broke the camel’s back.” Then Manish pulled out a few of CZ’s feedback as they relate to Binance’s business viability in India. Particularly, there’s none.
In the present day, there are six extra we thought you need to learn:
- On cloud 9: Apple’s iCloud website is just a little totally different now with apps that appear to be widget-styled tiles as a substitute of icons, Ivan writes.
- Extra layoffs: Roku says it is also cutting jobs, citing financial situations for why 200 U.S. staff shall be let go, Lauren writes.
- Controlling misinformation: PR software giant Cision acquired Factmata, which, when you don’t know, is preventing pretend information, Ingrid studies.
- Automotive porn: Toyota’s new all-electric SUV concept has a glossy look and plant-based seating, Jaclyn studies.
- Shock, shock, shock: Blizzard Activision shocked us all by suspending most of its games in China, citing expiration of licensing agreements with NetEase. Rita has extra.
- Hi there, my title is…: We’ve been following the Meta India departures, however now have some information that Meta appointed a new India head, Manish studies.