To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most vital tales delivered to your inbox each day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
Completely happy new week, startup nerds!
Tomorrow (Tuesday), we’ve got not one, however two Twitter Stay occasions taking place, and we’re enthusiastic about each of ’em. At 8:00 a.m. PDT / 11:00 a.m. EDT, we are talking with Andrew Chan about why Gen Z VCs are trash, and at 12:00 p.m. PDT / 3:00 p.m. EDT, we’re speaking with M13 companion Anna Barber about what at the moment’s founders can be taught from the dot-com bubble bursting.
Could your week have all the correct sorts of surprises in it! — Christine and Haje
The TechCrunch High 3
- 2001, a Starbucks Odyssey: In August, Starbucks obtained issues percolating with plans for a blockchain-based loyalty program and NFT community. At the moment, the espresso big brews up extra pleasure, unveiling Starbucks Odyssey. Sarah has extra on this steamy, scorching cup of rewards.
- Twitter vs. Elon Musk, part 265: Ivan writes that “the third time is the attraction” for Elon Musk’s attorneys, who delivered a 3rd termination discover to Twitter relating to the severance fee made to former safety head Peiter “Mudge” Zatko in June, arguing that this motion was in violation of Musk’s proposed settlement to amass the social media big. Or in order that they thought. Twitter is denying this breached the settlement.
- Africa’s hot and heavy fintech sector: Kippa, a Nigerian monetary administration app for retailers, closed on $8.4 million in new funding. Tage experiences that Kippa already has 500,000 retailers utilizing its app since launching final June.
Startups and VC
EV truck firm Nikola merged with VectoIQ in a SPAC in June 2020 with a $29 billion valuation. Trevor Milton, ex-CEO of Nikola, starts his fraud trial, which serves as a warning to risk-loving traders who would throw cash at an organization earlier than it begins delivering merchandise or bringing in income, Rebecca experiences.
“The truth is that in the event you’re a Silicon Valley-based enterprise agency, no LP at your annual assembly goes to ask you, ‘How did you miss firm X in Columbus?’ Like, that’s not gonna occur. However they’ll ask you, ‘How did you miss company Y that was in Silicon Valley?’ They don’t wish to miss these issues of their yard,” defined Chris Olsen in an interesting interview with Connie. Olsen spent six years with Sequoia Capital in California earlier than co-founding Drive Capital in Columbus, Ohio, in 2013.
Tangentially associated, for our Metropolis Highlight: Minneapolis final week, Haje hosted a panel discussing What Minneapolis investors are looking for (hint: it’s not just Minnesota startups).
Right here’s just a few extra for ya:
For LatAm fee orchestration startups, market fragmentation is a blessing in disguise
In Latin America, e-commerce is suffering from excessive fraud charges. Scarcely 20% of adults have a bank card, and plenty of who do aren’t ready to make use of them internationally.
It’s additionally true that e-commerce is rising sooner there than in some other area for the reason that pandemic started. In response to one examine, on-line gross sales in Latin America will generate $379 billion in a 32% year-over-year improve.
“The funds panorama in Latin America appears hopelessly fragmented and riddled with fraud,” says Rocio Wu, a principal at F-Prime Capital.
“Nonetheless, we consider that fragmentation truly presents an enormous alternative for vertically built-in funds orchestration startups to seize plenty of worth.”
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You can sign up here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
Darrell was following the Blue Origin launch this morning and introduced information that the launch was aborted after “a mid-flight anomaly.”
We all know you missed getting your Apple information repair over the weekend, so the staff, together with Zack, Ivan, Sarah and Romain, got here collectively to carry you some tales associated to iOS 16. First are five new security and privacy features adopted by “nifty” features you don’t wish to miss. Then the whole lot you wished to learn about Lock Screen widgets and the way downloading iOS 16 will flip your iPhone into a more personal device and eventually, the thin on Apple Passkey.
- Eyeing India: That’s precisely what Google is planning on doing with a few of the manufacturing for its Pixel smartphones, Manish writes.
- What to not go away in your resort room: Unsure how one can simply “discover” a Meta Quest Pro prototype, however that’s what a online game streamer in Mexico says occurred. Amanda has extra.
- Nope: Can’t say Amazon didn’t attempt. The e-commerce big is urging the European Union to just accept its provide to finish an antitrust probe into its use of third-party knowledge. Natasha L writes that some advocacy teams are calling Amazon’s provide “weak, imprecise and stuffed with loopholes.”
- Chocolate, salty balls maybe?: Transfer over capsules and Okay-cups. Espresso balls are right here.Discover out what Haje needed to say concerning the Swiss-based CoffeeB machine.
Leave a Reply